In India, when someone gets diarrhea or any digestion problem then doctors usually suggest khichdi which is prepared by boiling rice & lentils together. Actually the taste of that kind of khichdi is not so good because there are no spices, oil and veggies. So today, I am going to add onion, tomato, clarified butter (Indian Ghee) and some spices to that flavorless recipe and change the whole version of khichdi. Let’s name it Dal Pulao. Now, over to the recipe…
- 1 cup soaked rice (soaked for 15 minutes)
- 1/2 cup soaked split bengal gram (chana dal) (soaked for 6-7 hours)
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 chopped green chili
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter (Indian Ghee)
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garam masala
- 1/2 tablespoon chana masala
- First heat clarified butter (Indian Ghee) in a saucepan, then sizzle with cumin and green chili.
- Now add chopped onion, saute for 1 minute then add tomato & ginger garlic paste and saute for 2 minutes.
- Next add all the spices like salt, red chili powder, garam masala and chana masala. Make sure the heat is on medium.
- Then add the soaked split bengal gram, saute for 2 minutes.
- After that, add the soaked rice and mix all together.
- Now add 4 ½ cups of water, cover it, boil it for 18 minutes.
- You should stir it in the meantime.
- After 18 minutes, turn off the heat and let it stand covered for another 10 minutes.
- Your yummy and tangy dal pulao is ready to eat.
- You should serve it hot with Indian pickle and salty yogurt.
- You can add your favorite veggies in this pulao and make it more healthy and tasty.