I still remember, during my college days, there was an old lady in our university canteen near my hostel. We used to call her Aunty and I first ate these yummy bread rolls in her canteen with hot Indian tea. So today I am going to make those tangy potato bread rolls with Aunty’s recipe….
- 2 mashed potatoes
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped green chili
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garam masala
- 1/2 tablespoon dry mango powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon dry fenugreek leaves( crushed with hands)
- 3-4 cups vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- Bread slices (without crust)
- First put 2 tablespoons of oil in a saucepan and sizzle with cumin seeds and green chili.
- Then add chopped onion and saute it for 1 minute.
- Next add all spices like salt, red chili powder, garam masala, dry mango powder, dry fenugreek leaves, mix well and then add mashed potatoes.
- Mix all together with a spatula and saute for 1 minute.
- Now the filling is ready; let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Next put 1/2 cup of lukewarm water in a plate or bowl.
- Dip 1 slice of bread in water for 1 second and press it gently with your hands. Both sides of the slice should be moist.
- Now take 1 ½ tablespoons of the potato mixture, make it cylindrical and put it on the slice of bread.
- Then join the edges of the bread and make it cylindrical, as shown in the picture. Use water to make its shape.
- Next we are going to deep fry these rolls in oil on medium heat. Fry until they are golden brown.
- Serve these hot with tamarind sauce.
- You can pack these tangy potato bread rolls in your husband’s lunch box and he will be pleasantly surprised.