These rolls are a very popular Indian street food. It looks like a non-vegetarian dish, but it is pure vegetarian. This is made of bread, yogurt, vegetables and some spices. Yogurt gives a tangy flavour and spices give a burning sensation to the tongue, so that’s why I have named this recipe “TANGY FIRE ROLLS”. But in India, it’s named Dahi ke Sholey. This is one of my husband’s favourite foods and he will do anything for it. Now I am going to share my secret tangy recipe…
- 7 bread slices (remove crusts)
- 1 cup hung yogurt (for this, the yogurt should be hung in a muslin cloth for 2-3 hrs.)
- 1 chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green and red pepper
- 1 chopped jalapeno
- 1 chopped green chili
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon red chili flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon garam masala
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1/2 tablespoon roasted garlic powder (optional)
- 4-6 cups of vegetable oil for deep frying
- First combine the onion, green pepper, red pepper, jalapeno and green chili with the hung yogurt, mix well with a spoon.
- Next add all the spices like red chili flakes, salt, garam masala, cumin powder, roasted garlic powder and mix well.
- Now take one slice of bread, moisten it with a wet hand to make it softer.
- Next, mix 2 tablespoons of white flour and 4 tablespoons of water together into a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on the edges and put 1 tablespoon of the yogurt mixture in the centre. Seal the edges carefully.
- Then deep fry the rolls in hot oil on medium heat until they turn golden brown.
- Now cut each roll diagonally at the centre and get a shape like a drumstick.
- Serve them hot with cilantro sauce.
- Combining these rolls with cilantro sauce is most delicious. When you take the first bite you will feel like drooling. Soon, I will share the tangy recipe for cilantro sauce.